McIntosh. James

McIntosh. James

Photo compliments of the Kamloops Museum

The “King of Kamloops” was a Kamloops entrepreneur (b 1842, Ottawa; d 23 June 1901, Kamloops). He came west to BC in 1862 and tried his luck at gold mining in the Cariboo and on Vancouver Island, then moved to Kamloops in 1864. In partnership with William Fortune he built a flour mill and sawmill at Tranquille, then became part of a partnership that built the Shuswap Milling Co. on the Kamloops waterfront in 1877. Over the next several years there was hardly a development in town in which McIntosh was not involved, including the waterworks, the electric light company and the first hospital. As a result he became known as the “King of Kamloops.” (from B.C. Encyclopedia)

Advertisements

Tod, John

Tod, John

John was a fur trader (b Oct 1794, Dumbartonshire, Scotland; d 31 Aug 1882, Victoria). He came to Canada in 1811 as a clerk with the HBC attached to Lord Selkirk’s group of colonists bound for the Red River. In 1840 he took command of Fort Alexandria on the upper Fraser River, and he served as senior officer at Fort Thompson (Kamloops) from 1842 to 1849. In failing health, he retired from the HBC in 1850 after almost 40 years in its service, and settled near Fort Victoria. In 1851 he was appointed to the Legislative Council advising the governor of Vancouver Island, a position he held until 1858 when he resigned to devote all his energies to his farm and his sizable family. The Tod home is now a heritage house. Tod Mt near Kamloops is named for him, as is Tod Inlet on southern Vancouver Island. (from B.C. Encyclopedia)